Friday, September 9, 2011

The horror. The hope.

I'm guessing  I wasn't the only one at Mentor City Council's Tuesday meeting who was surprised, when reminded afresh, just how far reaching the devastation was following the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Council passed a resolution, complete with slideshow, calling for a moment of remembrance at 1 p.m., Sunday, in response to a nationwide request from the U.S. Senate. City officials are asking area churches to ring their bells at that time.

The lengthy resolution read by council Clerk Elizabeth Limestahl mentioned in detail the events and impacts of that infamous day a decade ago. The city's Public Information Office put together the accompanying slideshow. As always, the pictures were worth 1,000 words.

I read over the resolution prior to the meeting and the thought that came to my mind was: Why are we giving the enemy so much glory by spelling out in detail how much havoc was wrought?

I completely agree that it should not be forgotten, that it should be marked and commemorated. It is a historic fact, like it or not. We all remember where we were when it happened or we first learned of it. We must allow grief its process.

I realize that turning a blind eye to the details may be perceived as putting one's head in the sand. I like detail and it was interesting to see the numbers anew. But I hope it doesn't result in people's righteous indignation taking the form of bitterness - a strenuous emotional exercise that hurts us - and likely those around us (Heb. 12:15) - most.

I don't pretend to know what it was like to lose someone in the attacks or in the wars since. But I do know the "God of all comfort" (2 Cor. 1:3) who says, "Behold, I make all things new" (Rev. 21:5). The heroic efforts of those emergency crews who responded, those of the courageous Flight 93 members and the military personnel who have died in the wars since were not die in vain. I rest assured that God sees, God cares and He has the final Word.

That is in the future. Might we make the most of the present? Might America band together once more - one nation under God - as it did in the days following 9/11/01?

-- Betsy Scott, BScott@News-Herald.com

 

Sept. 11th Moment of Remembrance

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home