Monday, March 28, 2011

Autism Speaks, Panera Listens

While I could easily write several blog entries on why I love Panera, I want to call attention to something very special they are doing. (Credit to fellow copy editor Cheryl Sadler for cluing me in to this.)

Starting at the end of this week, Panera will be selling shortbread cookies in the shape of puzzle pieces. The proceeds from these cookies will benefit Autism Speaks, an organization that seeks to bring awareness to Autism and help to fund scientific research into causes, treatments and potential cures of the disorder that is reaching epidemic proportions.

This was at my brother's graduation from Mentor High
School last June. He is shown with me and my dad.
(See the family resemblance?)
My younger brother Carmen has Autism, so this cause is very near and dear to my heart. I know many people who have family members or friends with the disorder, and I'm sure most who will read this do as well. The disorder affects many individuals in many different ways, and according to Autism Speaks, an estimated 1.5 million individuals in the U.S. and tens of millions worldwide are affected by the disorder.

Since just about everything Panera bakes is absolutely delicious, I have no doubt these cookies will be wonderful. They are a bit pricey, at $2 per cookie, and can be preordered here at $12 for a box of 6, or $24 for a box of 12. I've already preordered 2 dozen to pick up on Friday to share with coworkers here.

I urge you all to visit Panera for a cookie next week, and maybe a cup of delicious coffee or espresso. (I'm a big fan of the caramel latte--with skim milk and no whipped cream, though.)

--Danielle Capriato
DCapriato@News-Herald.com

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home